Saturday, April 30, 2005

Cleaning Basics

Last week I received a comment from an anonymous reader who asked for some tips on fishkeeping. I will cover some of the basics in my next few blogs.

This was the comment from Gail :

I really love these yellow gouramis. They certainly do add color. Since you have such a great setup, I'm assuming you're pretty knowledgeable about tropical fish. So I have a question if you don't mind. I've had an aquarium for a about 4 years now and all of my fish have died except for Mr. Tofu (formerly Mabel). He's a hatchet fish which they said would be hard to keep but he's survived everyone else and keeps ticking. My aquarium really needs a good cleaning but I'm afraid to alter Mr. Tofu's environment since he seems to be doing okay. Do you have any recommendations? I'd really appreciate it.

First of all I must say that I have no experience with Hatchet Fish, but if you have kept one for four years you are doing pretty good. Fish do die unexpectedly, and for mysterious reasons all the time. However you should clean your tank before you add more fish.

On the subject of cleaning often people think that this means a complete teardown, which can be a big cause of fish death. I have never done a complete teardown except when I have moved. My current setup is 5 years old. Cleaning should involve the following basic steps:

1/ vacuum the gravel using a siphon tube that removes the fish poo and at the same time removes 10-15% of the water. Available from Aquarium Services or your Local Fish Store.

2/ Refill the water with fresh water that is the exact temperature of the tank water. Very important on the temperature or you will shock the fish. If you only change 10-15% you will not need to add any chemicals, or use distilled water, just watch the temperature.

3/ Rinse, clean, replace your filter material. Rinse with same temperature water so as to not kill the helpful bacteria in the filter material.

4/ Clean your glass with a magnetic algae brush so you can clean it from the outside. Available from Aquarium Services or your local Fish Store.

That is it! Should take about 15-30min and you will need to do this every 2-4 weeks depending on your tank size and amount of fish. Even if you have left it for longer, just do these steps and you will be fine.

By following these steps your fish will be happy with a refresh of water, and you will be happy to clean your tank so simply.

Remember fish do not like perfectly clean water.

More next week.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Greg!

Thanks for the cleaning info. I'll be sure to let Mr. Tofu know that you helped me improve his environment!

Gail

4:23 p.m.  
Blogger loverlyangel said...

I can tell you from experience that Aquarium Services is a very good place to go when in comes to your fish tank. The guy's there, especially in Kanata are very Knowledgable and know lots about fish. We go there often and they alwasy answer our questions and point us in the right direction for supplies and such. And they don't alway's point us the more Expensive things either. They really take the time to listen to the question or problem and tell you what is best to do without getting yourself broke over medicine.

Another place we like to go is Super Pet in Barhaven. They are also very friendly , it is not our first choice because you often have to wait a long time before you get served but when you do they are very nice adn helpfull as well.

6:52 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey great site. I love fish. Came across this site by accident. This is so cool Im sending it to my friend who has a HUGE tank built into the entire wall of her house. Shes going to love this site. Check out my blogs at Toddler Activities, and Toddler Games, Panic Attacks, Panic Disorder. Weight Loss, and Quick Weight Loss I hope you like them! Your blogs just gave me an inspiration.

11:53 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey interesting blog you have here. I have been thinking about all those people suffering from Elzheimers.Cheers, why not take a look at my blog if you are not too busy
Online Dating

10:34 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Wedding+anniversary+invitations Low priced backpacks Villafana + dentist vegas style baccarat England hockey Chevrolet truck exhaust system Swat time is running out Tocca perfume Fastin and adipex

10:59 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home